Domaine Treloar Le Rescapé Carignan 2016 Côtes Catalanes

(Code: TREL/RESC/16)
£ 17.20
(9 Item(s) In Stock)
Add to cart
Domaine Treloar Le Rescapé Carignan 2016 Côtes Catalanes
Region Côtes du Roussillon, Trouillas, south-west of Perpignan
Colour/Style Dry red - full-bodied, aged in older oak barrels for 1 year
Grapes 100% Carignan
Alcohol (a.b.v)
Food Spicy sausages, red meats, game, roasted vegetables
Next day 
Even better
Drink Now to 2026 and beyond
100% Carignan, with 50% coming from 75 year-old vines planted on clay-limestone terroir in Les Aspres and 50% from 40 year-old vines grown on black schiste, high up in the hills of Forca Real. Total yields are a miniscule 15 hl/ha, with just 2,000 bottles produced. Medium-dark, clear/limpid red in colour. 30% of the grapes are fermented using carbonic maceration, whilst the remaining 70% are fermented tradtionally (some of which are whole bunches, stalks and all). The resulting wine offers a wonderfully expressive mix of soused red and black fruits on the nose, with background notes of incense, polished old wood and tobacco, not to mention a definite hint of blackcurrant leaf. It is so aromatic and lovely, one could simply sit and smell it for ages! With time in the glass, further notes of brioche and curry spices (notably cumin, coriander and fenugreek) emerge, along with hints of roasted nuts and even flowers. The palate is at the same time soft and velvety, yet fresh, vibrant and full of restrained power, offering bags of spice and herb-infused raspberry and blackcurrant fruit, with plenty of grip and juicy, spiky, gently volatile acidity. It could just be the most obviously complex and most instantly loveable wine from Treloar thus far - and, of course, it is Carignan! All-in-all, a truly lovely wine, and a worthy addition to the Treloar range.